What Does Renewed Mean on Amazon for Sellers?
What you’ll learn:
- What renewed means on Amazon for buyers
- How sellers can take advantage of this niche
- How to get approved as a seller for Amazon renewed
You might have seen a product labeled as “renewed” on an Amazon listing under Visit the Amazon renewed store. But what does renewed mean on Amazon? And how do you take advantage of it as a seller?
Amazon Renewed is a fancy name Amazon gives to refurbished products. So it’s no different from Amazon refurbished products.
It also includes pre-owned and open-box products. In other words, “used” products that have been cleaned up to be like-new status. The box won’t be in the original condition if you can live with that.
Sellers usually also offer renewed products at least at 5% discount versus if the product is bought new.
Amazon renewed products are not always sold by Amazon. A 3rd party seller can follow the guidelines to make a product be “renewed” and it will be listed as such.
- Breakdown of a Renewed Amazon Product Listing
- Professionally inspected products
- What condition should you expect from a renewed product?
- Guarantee for renewed products
- Think about why shoppers may buy Amazon renewed products
- How Amazon sellers can be eligible to become an Amazon renewed supplier
- Why should sellers apply for the Amazon renewed program?
- What is Gorilla ROI?
Breakdown of a Renewed Amazon Product Listing
Here’s an Amazon Renewed product of a Ninja blender.
The key conditions for a renewed product are the following:
- The product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- This pre-owned product has been professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by Amazon-qualified suppliers.
- There will be no visible cosmetic imperfections when held at an arm’s length.
- Products with batteries will exceed 80% capacity relative to new.
- Accessories may not be original, but will be compatible and fully functional. Product may come in generic box.
- This product is eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receipt if you are not satisfied under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
The key point is that Amazon does not inspect all of the products. It is also done through approved suppliers. The good news is that products in this refurbished state are eligible for 90 days money-back Amazon renewed guarantee.
Professionally inspected products
Some pointers on what the testing must provide.
Amazon employs professionals to check the products. If the product is from a third-party supplier, they should be Amazon-qualified and performance-managed suppliers.
Whether the product is pre-owned, refurb, or open-box, Amazon makes sure that they are professionally inspected. It means that the product is guaranteed to look new and work like new regardless.
The tests that renewed products go through.
- They put the product through a full diagnostic test.
- Replace any faulty parts.
- Thorough cleaning of the product.
Aside from that, the product packaging is also inspected.
What condition should you expect from a renewed product?
Renewed products should be in good condition. It means that the product and packaging should have minimal signs of wear.
According to Amazon, the product and packaging should have “no visible cosmetic imperfections when held 12 inches away”. It can arrive on your door in a brown or white box.
Be aware that compatible generic accessories inside the box are allowed. It means you can buy a renewed Apple laptop in good condition but you won’t necessarily get an original Apple charging brick.
Other limitations include:
- Wireless devices (like phones) don’t come with headphones.
- All electronic products should have at least 80% battery capacity (a good example are iPhones where performance degrades when battery health is lower than 80%).
In cases where there are deficiencies in the requirements, the product listing is required to be written clearly to disclose any exceptions.
Guarantee for renewed products
The Amazon renewed program allows Amazon renewed sellers the following products for distribution in the renewed program.
- Home appliances
- Musical instruments
- Automotive parts
- Headphones and audio
- Kitchen appliances
- Outdoor and sports
- Laptops and computers
- Home and industrial tools
- Television sets
- Video game consoles
- Office equipment
The guarantee of the product will fall on the Amazon Renewed Guarantee. Note that renewed products will fall under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee only if specifically mentioned on the product information page.
Other than that, here’s what buyers can expect.
1. Satisfaction guaranteed if not you can return the product within 90 days of receipt of your original purchase (or within 1 year of receipt of a Renewed Premium product). A full refund or replacement is applicable.
2. Quick customer support and free troubleshooting from a single point of contact at Amazon.
Keep in mind that theft, tampering, and accidental damage are not covered under this guarantee.
If the buyer’s product doesn’t fall under any of the three mentioned exemptions and they’re within the 90-day timeframe, they can call Amazon customer service at 1-800-362-5703 or via the order page by clicking on the “Get Product Support” button.
Buyers are required to return the product but Amazon will not charge them. Amazon will only charge buyers if they don’t receive the return after they have issued a full refund or replacement.
If buyers return an electronic device, they need to perform a factory reset to remove all personal data.
Think about why shoppers may buy Amazon renewed products
The Amazon renewed program is a great way for budget-conscious people to buy the products they need at a cheaper price and with a 90-day guarantee.
From what I’ve seen online, products do go through similar repairs and part replacement procedures. But the 90-day guarantee is a good deal.
With this in mind, how can sellers capture this type of buyer?
How Amazon sellers can be eligible to become an Amazon renewed supplier
Maybe you don’t want to deal with being an Amazon FBA seller anymore.
If you don’t want the hassles and headaches of dealing with
- Amazon supply chain management issues
- always calculating your Amazon profit
- calculating fees
- tracking your sales and inventory management
then being part of the Amazon renewed program can be right for you.
“Amazon Wholesale” is dying because brands are deciding to sell directly themselves and control online marketplaces.
You may not want to purchase inventory by the container. Amazon renewed is a smaller niche for sellers that has a need with demand.
You still need to qualify and prove you are an established business with a history. It’s not like eBay where anyone can start selling with their neighbor’s yard sale items.
There are hurdles, and for new sellers, it will be difficult. But if you can fit into this category, it also means, there is less competition and opportunity to carve your own niche.
- Show Amazon an invoice with at least $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 90 days from the date of application.
- If you offer products related to home, tools, or lawn & garden, and kitchen you can submit invoices showing a minimum of $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 180 days.
- Amazon requires an existing seller to have an ODR (Order Defect Rate) of 0.8% or less in the trailing 90 days.
- You can list factory refurbished items with no manufacturer warranty but you need permission to do so.
- You are required to submit 8 images of a sample unit for product and packaging review. They need images of:
- The box the product will ship in.
- Inside the packaging and padding.
- The product from top and bottom and all 4 sides.
- You need to back all your refurbished products under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- For Apple products, Amazon needs invoices dated from trailing 90 days that total $2.5 million in Apple refurbished products.
- Pricing must be at least 5% cheaper than new condition.
You can start selling refurbished and pre-owned products once approved.
You can use FBM or FBA.
If you fail to meet the requirements you can still sell your products in a standard ASIN under the “Used” condition.
Why should sellers apply for the Amazon renewed program?
The main benefit is that you offer quality, fully functional products at an affordable price with a 90-day guarantee.
It’s not that much different from being a regular Amazon seller once you’re accepted to the Amazon renewed program. You’ll also work with an account manager one-on-one.
But, having the label Amazon renewed associated with your product boosts your trustworthiness than having “used” or “refurbished” written on your listing page.
This trustworthiness is a byproduct of Amazon’s quality criteria that they offer to an exclusive few. This exclusivity also extends to your brand and adds credibility.
What is Gorilla ROI?
Gorilla ROI automatically pulls Amazon data into Google sheets for you to make sense of the data without the inconvenience of manually downloading, sorting and updating spreadsheets.
Learn how you can centralize your data and use it to increase your ROI.