What you’ll learn:
- Amazon plan of action template for suspended LISTINGS. Not accounts.
- Guide on what to write in your POA letter to get your listing reinstated
- What not to do with an appeal letter that could backfire
- Download our Amazon listing reinstatement letter template
If you answered yes – we are on different wavelengths and it’s best to skip this article.
The chart above shows the increased searches people are making related to listing and account suspensions.
Sometimes, buyers will say that your product was sold expired or you’re selling an old product as new – just so they can get free returns.
This is a horrible accusation because your listing likely gets penalized and removed. On the Amazon system, you are guilty until proven innocent.
Wait. Even if you are innocent, you have to admit to being guilty.
I’ll take you through an appeal letter that works for most people so you can get back up and running.
Table of Contents
The short version
Your listing is suspended. You want to act quickly.
Listings get suspended (as well as accounts) for things like:
- inauthentic claims
- used as new claims
- negative customer experience (NCX) health issues
- IP infringement claims
Seller central forums have a ton of information. It is the best source because people have their listings (or accounts) suspended left and right and ask for help on the forum.
Go to these links now.
- How to Handle Used as New Complaints Version 2 – This link will give you all you need to write a good appeal letter. But there is no template.
- Amazon product condition guidelines
- Policies for writing listings
- Amazon product authenticity and quality
- Selling Policies and Seller Code of Conduct
If your account is suspended, find someone who deals with account suspensions ASAP.
There are a lot of people who help with account reactivation appeals. Vet them properly. We’ll have to do a topic on vetting services that help to get you reinstated to see who does it properly or not.
Why should you listen to me?
Of all random strangers on the internet, why should you bother listening to me?
Here’s my street cred to show that I’m not a college intern writing about something I know nothing about.
I’m also not a lawyer, which means – take what you think will work for you. But consult your own lawyer as needed.
My info is not theory. This is 100% practical experience.
- I’ve had
onethree of our best selling products ripped off by Chinese suppliers – products and a category we created
- I’ve had a Chinese supplier claim our product was their idea
- One of my suppliers shared our mold with other suppliers
- I’ve had a supplier refuse to transfer the mold I paid for to my new supplier
- I personally visit and audit all my Chinese factories and meet the owners
- I import from all regions in China
- I sell millions of dollars worth of product
If you want to hear how we deal with listing suspensions and appeals, and get Amazon plan of action appeal template, keep reading.
Swallow your pride. Admit fault.
MOST IMPORTANT POINT: YOU MUST ADMIT FAULT WHETHER YOU ARE OR NOT.
Rule #1: Read the most important point above.
Rule #2: Read rule #1.
I hate this part because Amazon is at fault 9 out 10 times and their incompetent seller support and algorithms incorrectly flag and shut down listings and accounts.
With so many abusers on Amazon, I get it. It’s a way to automate the process, but it throws the baby out with the bathwater too often.
If you can’t swallow your pride and “admit fault”, you will not get anywhere.
When crafting your Amazon plan of action appeal, there are basic fundamentals to know.
Amazon will want you to address them in an actionable and proactive manner.
What that means is drop all the emotional phrases and pleas. Things like:
- “We are great sellers”
- “We didn’t do anything wrong”
- “There must be a mistake”
- “You’re holding my inventory hostage”
- “I demand my payout”
- “I have a family to feed”
- and so on
Amazon does not care about you or your business, no matter how many times they ask you in their silly widget survey.
Now let’s get to the detailed stuff.
Tips on how to write your plan of action (POA) appeal letter
The message you received about your listing being deactivated, suppressed or suspended is important. You have to restate what the listing got deactivated for.
The letter should be written with these points in mind.
- Write in sections. This isn’t an essay.
- Write in point form and numbered steps.
- Stick to the point. Don’t put explanations or reasoning.
- Keep it short. This isn’t an essay.
- Write the steps you have taken to address the issue
- Write the steps you will take to prevent the issue
- Speak in past and future tense to say what you have done and what will be done
HIGHLIGHT ASIN WITH ISSUE
Clearly write what ASIN is affected and the reason for the letter.
SUPPLIER INFO AND INVOICES
Amazon will want invoices from the past X number of days. Check how many in the message you get. It used to be an invoice within 1 year, but it can easily change. Check.
Invoices should not be retail store invoices, but actual invoices from the supplier or manufacturer. If you sell big brand names, this is risky because if you are not an authorized distributor, your listing will be shut down as being inauthentic.
One reason why arbitrage with Amazon is not a viable long term strategy.
If you take a photo of the invoice, NEVER edit the photo or image directly. If you want to hide the price, put a piece of paper over it before taking the photo.
If you edit the image in an image software, or even with your phone app, your listing will likely be suspended forever.
Too many capitals?
Images pushing the boundaries? This is a grey area because Amazon goes against ToS themselves. But they don’t care.
If it’s anything related to the listing, state the steps you are going to take to correct whatever Amazon says is bad.
Listing shut down because of bad images?
In bullet points, write something like:
- We have taken down all images
- We have verified images with guidelines
- We have retaken images with professional photographer adhering to guidelines
- We have edited the listing to verify compliant images are used
If the suspension is related to packaging problems, state how you are will fix the issue.
- We have recalled all product
- We have manually check the product
- We have repacked all products to fix the issues
- We have issued refund to all customers
- We will send in new packaging inventory only
Shipping problems like bad boxes, incorrect counts, wrong sizes and so on.
Amazon FC makes countless mistakes, but you have to take the fall if you want to sell.
- We have recalled the boxes
- We have checked the weight and dimension of the boxes
- We have checked the shipping plan
- We have retrained our outbound staff
NEGATIVE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE (NCX)
Take a look at all the feedback you have been receiving for the de-listed item, customer’s complaint, and other pertinent information to better understand what caused the complaint to occur.
If the listing was shut down for this reason, you have to copy and paste the bad feedback and say that you have addressed this.
Use this template with CAUTION
If you don’t change and rephrase this plan of action template I’m sharing, that is on you.
Countless others have found this page, my template, and used them. Imagine all those people sending the same template.
If you don’t want to get in further trouble, do not copy and paste the template and reuse it. If you do, no wonder you got your listing yanked.
Think about your product, customer, business and use the structure.
Amazon plan of action template
This appeal POA is for a “sold used as new” complaint. It can be adjusted for your situation.
The issue(s) that led to the complaints
A customer stated they received the product in used condition for ASIN B01JDUEK242.
Customers purchasing B01JDUEK242 have complained that the items listed below appear to be used.
- Condition Guidelines (https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200339950)
The actions you have taken to resolve the issue(s) that caused the complaints about the product condition or description of your items.
- We have reviewed reviews, feedback, return reasons to understand the complaint
- We have reviewed our account history and shipments to determine the cause of the complaint
- We have checked the listing and images for any ambiguity or issues that may not be compliant with the guidelines and expectations
- We have closed the listing immediately upon request
- We have recalled all inventory for physical checks
- We have verified and gone through QA of the inventory at our location
- We have requested inventory bin check requested to Amazon
- We have confirmed with the manufacturer about the condition of the product when purchased and to verified authenticity of the product
- [edit and add more of yours]
The steps you have taken to prevent future complaints about the condition of your items.
- We have checked all items in inventory to ensure the product is in its original packaging and packed properly
- We will change our shipping materials for stronger versions
- We will reinspect all returned items to verify condition and potential issues with shipping and condition
- Product Condition Complaints have been reviewed company-wide.
- We will retrain employees to ensure all items are packed and shipped in the best and safest condition.
- Process has been documented for training purposes within our company.
- [edit and add more of yours]
Sourcing and other questions
- Sourcing: Are you sourcing the product from a trusted supplier that sells items in condition?
> YES, we have contacted the supplier to confirm everything is in new condition.
- Listing: Is the product accurately described on Amazon? Have you ensured that there is no ambiguity and the customer is well informed?
> YES, the listing is updated to remove any misunderstandings about the condition.
- Packaging: Is the product in its original manufacturer packaging as listed on Amazon?
> YES, the packaging is the original from the manufacturer.
- Shipping: Have you taken all appropriate steps and quality checks to ensure that the product is stored, packed, and shipped appropriately, and will not be damaged when shipped?
> YES, we have added additional steps to improve the shipping process. Materials have been upgraded for stronger and safer versions.
- Review your communications, reviews, and feedback from buyers to better understand the issues.
> YES, we have reviewed the feedback from buyers and understand the issue.
Attached manufacturer invoice as proof.
P.O. BOX 12115
LOS ANGELES, CA 90210
[your company name]
[your address and phone]
- RAY BARNS XXXL (ASIN: B01JDUEK242 )
Invoice date: August 18th, 2020 and September 8th, 2020.
[your name on file]
[your main Amazon seller central email]
Google Docs version of the appeal letter template
Summary of writing a plan of action letter
- When sending your Plan of Action, always send it in email form rather than as an attachment
- Amazon could call your supplier
- You should not use any software to alter invoices in any way. You will be flagged for forgery.
- Print all invoices, scan, and attach them to your email.
- Read the letter Amazon sent you several times to understand what is being asked of you. Make sure that you address what is needed.
- Any information that you will add should be written in plain sentences to be concise.
- Use bullet points when writing your POA. This makes it easier to see your response
- You should take a look at your Account Health tab where any product complaints will be listed. They will be stored there for six months before being removed.
- Amazon doesn’t care about and the only way to get through is to admit and take the blame for everything they say.
- You need to wait around 24 to 48 hours to receive a response to your letter.
Amazon will send a response to you after reviewing your Appeal Letter. Either they will ask for further information or they will update your account based on the details that you have provided.
Want more detailed Amazon guides and tactics to boost sales?
Be the first to know when a new guide is published and how we are implementing it into our business.